Here's a multiple choice quiz for you...what's wrong with this picture: I'm driving in my neighborhood on November 18. A woman in shorts and tank top is standing is in her front yard, setting up Christmas lights and inflatable yard displays while listening to Christmas music. The grass is brown and dead.
Is the answer: (A) She is wearing shorts and tank top in November. (B) The grass is brown and dead. (C) She is setting up Christmas lights and inflatable yard displays while listening to Christmas music.
The correct answer is not A -- after all, this is Georgia and it has been in the 70s for the last week and a half. The answer is not B -- after all, this is Georgia and we are in the worst drought on record. The answer is (C).
I am not a Scrooge and I absolutely LOVE Christmas -- I love everything about it, except that we push it so far forward on the calendar that it crowds out Thanksgiving. I'm sure she had good reasons for doing this all so early (and for actually having her lights and inflatables turned on the next night as I drove past her house...yes, that would be November 19). But please, people, can we just stop and celebrate Thanksgiving and take time (more than just on Thanksgiving Day) to appreciate and honor the wonderful holiday that it is, and everything it means, before we jump head-first into the Christmas festivities?
Please?
What I'm thankful for today:
Frivolous: Frozen side dishes at the grocery store. Since I'm the only one in my family who likes green bean casserole, we just bought a small frozen one at the grocery store. And since DH and I are the only ones who like sweet potatoes, we bought a small one of those also. Yea -- two dishes we don't have to fully prepare...just heat and serve!
Serious: The men and women who have served and who currently serve in our Nation's military. Whether you agree with the politics involved in the current situation and the role our military plays in that situation, the men and women who put their lives on the line for us, who wear their uniforms proudly and with honor, deserve our gratitude and our respect. I come from a family with a long, proud, and strong military heritage. I am grateful for that, and am proud that my father, uncle, and both grandfathers served honorably in the military.
No comments:
Post a Comment