A sweet little girl named Catie passed away last night. Catie was diagnosed with medulloblastoma, a brain tumor, on her first birthday. She just turned 3 last fall. Poor Catie endured so many surgeries, so much radiation, so many chemo treatments. She personified the term "fighter."
I never had the opportunity to meet Catie. I wish I had. I learned about her through my friend Kristie whose own precious daughter was going through her own battle with leukemia. Kendrie was only 4 when she was diagnosed. She's just a few months younger than my own sweet B. If that wasn't enough for one family to endure, Kristie's husband also has cancer and has undergone extensive and excrutiatingly painful treatment for that. Kendrie beat cancer. Catie was not so lucky.
I have followed Catie's journey for the last several months through her CaringBridge website. Please take a moment to visit her website (http://www.caringbridge.org/ga/catie/) and read about this sweet, precious, adorable child. I cannot imagine what her family is going through. Catie's Mom is scheduled to give birth next week to a new baby. The thought of burying one child and then almost immediately welcoming your second child into this world....how unfair life is sometimes.
But I like to think that right now, Catie is in heaven meeting her new brother or sister and telling them all about how wonderful her parents are...how sweet their puppy is...and about all of her favorite things. I think, more than anything, Catie will tell her new brother or sister just how loving her Mama and Daddy are, and will ask that precious baby brother or sister to please give Mama and Daddy some extra hugs from their dear Catie. And then Catie will lovingly send her new brother or sister down to earth...perhaps wishing she was still here, but being filled with joy at being free from pain and able to run, jump, and play to her heart's content, with no more surgeries, radation, or chemo lurking in her future.
After you visit Catie's website, please visit Kendrie's website (http://www.caringbridge.org/ga/kendrie/) to read about Kristie's exciting new project that will be of enormous benefit to all of those who face a cancer battle. I promise that Kristie will make you laugh, smile, think and, sometimes, cry. She has an amazing gift for writing and for humor.
So today, the word DO has new meaning for me. Right now, today, DO give your children and your loved ones all of the hugs, kisses, and attention you can. Right now, DO tell them how much you love them. DO stop the housework, the errands, the busy work...and focus on your family and those you love. DO it now. DO play that extra board game with your kids...DO spend those extra few minutes past bedtime spending quality time with your spouse, no matter how tired you are. DO forgive...DO let go of grudges and guilt and anger. Tomorrow might be too late.
No comments:
Post a Comment