Monday, January 28, 2008

We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet

President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, passed away last night (http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/beloved-church-president-gordon-b-hinckley-dies-at-97). He was 97 years old.

President Hinckley lived a long, full life and spent nearly all of it in service to Heavenly Father. He had been the prophet since 1995, and is the only prophet my girls have ever known. His leadership, love and compassion, and sense of humor endeared him to many, members and non-members alike. He was responsible for building so many temples, including the Anchorage, Alaska temple, which I must admit is my favorite (because we got to see it being built from the ground up!). I still remember how excited and thrilled we were in Anchorage when it was announced that we would be getting a temple. I remember President Hinckley coming to Anchorage for a regional conference. I was singing in the choir and was able to see him very clearly. We were so excited to have the prophet in Alaska!

In recent years President Hinckley had given us the "Six Be's" (later expanded to include more)...be prayerful, be grateful, be humble, be smart, be clean, be true. Wise counsel, indeed. More recently, he counseled us to get out of debt, establish financial reserves, and continue working on food storage. I have felt a strong, compelling need lately to work on those things and am glad that I am following his counsel.

While he will be greatly missed, it is comforting to know that he is now reunited with his sweet wife, Marjorie, who he loved so much. It was always touching to hear him talk about her. It was obvious that they loved each other very deeply. If more marriages had just a small amount of that type of love, divorce rates would drop drastically and families would be much happier.

It is also comforting to know that this is the Lord's church and He will not leave us without a leader. I am thankful for the established pattern of succession and the knowledge that the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are all called of God and will, until such time as the new prophet is set apart, continue to lead the church in the way God would have it led. Last Sunday in church, our ward choir sang "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet"...what sweet and strange significance that hymn holds in my heart today. I am so thankful for the priesthood, for the knowledge that I have that God continues to lead us through our prophet, just as in biblical times.

Yesterday we had stake conference, and it was a broadcast from Salt Lake City. President Monson spoke and was not at all himself...his remarks seemed a bit rambling, more reminiscent than he usually is, and he seemed quite preoccupied. He kept looking at the clock. I wonder now if he knew President Hinckley's time was short and wanted to be at his side and with the Hinckley family. Each prophet has had a distinct focus (or two or three), and I wonder what President Monson's focus will be. One comment made by President Monson in his remarks yesterday really caught my attention -- he said we should take advantage of opportunities to share our testimonies, including in internet blogs. (I was impressed that President Monson even know what an internet blog was, LOL!)

President Hinckley will be missed, and I am sad that he has passed away. But there is comfort in knowing that he is with his wife, and is happy. And, knowing how active and busy he was, even at 97 years old (he had a full schedule in his office last week!), I imagine he is already busy at work where is now!