I realize that life seems to move at the speed of life. However, I have noticed a disturbing trend in the last few years.
Many local retailers put out displays of Christmas trees, ornaments, and other decorations quite early...as in BEFORE Halloween....even in September! I understand craft stores putting out their Christmas craft merchandise early so that crafters can get started on their projects. But department stores to start displaying Christmas decorations in September? That's a bit extreme. Our local mall already has most of their Christmas decor up.
I even saw a house near our church that, on the first Sunday in November, already had Christmas lawn decorations out and their Christmas tree set up and decorated, standing in the front window.
Please don't misunderstand me -- I absolutely love Christmas -- it's one of my favorite holidays and I enjoy the holiday spirit. I have already bought a new Christmas CD for this year (Josh Groban's new CD -- can't wait to listen to it!). But I think we lose something when we skip other fun and meaningful holidays in our rush to get to Christmas. Let's enjoy Halloween...respect Veteran's Day...fully appreciate Thanksgiving.
When we lived in Anchorage, the Nordstrom (LOVE that store!) in one of the local malls was the only store I know of that didn't decorate for Christmas in early November. They displayed signs in the store that explained that they felt it was important to fully appreciate the fall holidays, particularly Thanksgiving, and so in honor of the spirit of Thanksgiving they would not decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. Nordstrom had the most amazing, gorgeous Christmas displays and did a family night with activities for children on the day they opened with their Christmas displays fully set up. We took A a couple of times and really enjoyed the experience.
Please don't think I'm a Scrooge -- I'm not! I just think sometimes we let life rush by us as we try to get one from thing to the next.
So please, local retailers, decorate in November if you must...but please, could you NOT decorate for Christmas in September or early October? Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment