And right now, part of me is relieved that September only has 30 days...and part of me needs September to have a few more days.
September 30 is the end of the fiscal year...and in my line of work, that's a big deal. A huge deal. So big that I've been working overtime and comptime for almost two months to get everything done.
I am exhausted!
Some years things go smoothly. Other years, like this year, everything goes haywire. If it can go wrong, it will (don't worry -- I didn't just jinx myself -- it's already bad!). For some reason, all of my projects have issues. Big issues. Time-consuming issues.
But a lot of it boils down to this: "Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Sound familiar? Yeah. I just wish I could actually say that to my customers. Unfortunately, I can't. I just have to dig in and get the job done.
Sometimes it's exhilarating. Most of the time it's exhausting. It's definitely never boring.
I function pretty well under pressure. In fact, I perform better under pressure than not. Yes, I have a few "freak out" moments along the way...but for some reason the pressure makes me more focused, organized, and efficient. That's a good thing.
But not eating, not sleeping, and not relaxing...not such a good thing.
I wish I could say, in the words of Green Day, "Wake me up when September ends." Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling that I'll be wide awake when September ends...at my desk...frantically trying to get it all done.
'Tis the season!
No comments:
Post a Comment