Friday, January 5, 2007

Do You Think Someone is Trying to Tell Me Something?

Sometimes I think the forces of the universe all come together to try to tell me something. Either that, or Heavenly Father is trying really hard to get a message through to me. It's probably the latter.

A few weeks ago, A came home from school and told me all about the evils of caffeine, as learned from her 7th grade social studies teacher. "Mom, did you know that you are addicted to a legal drug?", she asked. Huh??? She proceeded to tell me about the evil conspiracy of cola companies to get us addicted to their drinks. She then told me how horrible caffeine is....and asked how many Cokes I drink every day. I managed to avoid answering the question. Of course, there's a 12-pack of Coke sitting on my kitchen table right now (but, in my defense, it's been there for over a week and it isn't empty yet).

I admit it...I love Coke. Yum. It is the nectar of the Gods. I have one every morning. Some days I only have that one. Other days I have more than one. For some reason, restaurant food doesn't taste right without a Coke. Water just doesn't do it for me.

Then yesterday on NPR I heard a new story about caffeine, and how much is in energy drinks and other drinks...and of course the reporter talked at length about how addictive caffeine is.

The subject of caffeine has come up a few other times, in various situations, over the last few weeks.

OK, I probably need to back off. For personal health reasons I was cautioned many years ago to give up caffeine entirely, or at least cut way back. And I did for a while. But then I started drinking it again. I love it. Coke...Cherry Coke...yum. Caffeine free just doesn't taste the same.

But I think maybe someone is trying to communicate something to me right now. Maybe I'm just imagining things...I don't know. But to be hit with so many messages about caffeine within such a short amount of time...it's one of those "things that make you go HMMMMMM....".

So I think it's time to cut back. Maybe not cut it out totally, but cut back. I do need to drink more water (yuck), so maybe I could have my morning Coke and then no more until after I've had an entire bottle of water (I did find some lemon flavoring that makes water taste much better). And none after a certain time in the afternoon...? I don't know. Maybe I can try switching back to Caffeine Free Coke.

Hmmmm...something to think about. But right now, I have a few sips left in my morning Coke and I think I need to finish them off!

1 comment:

jamie said...

I am grateful that A has not come over here to give me a "caffine is evil" lecture ;-)

I too try hard to stick to the one a day rule but like you, I have a hard time drinking plain old water during the day. Most of my weekday lunches are "on the run" out of necessity, like yesterday when I drove through Zaxbys for a quick bite while running around town trying to finish my 3 visits before the rain came. Is it even *legal* to eat at Zaxby's without drinking a coke with their yummy ice?? and I can't imagine a chicken bisquit from Chick-fil-a chased down by a sip of diet coke ... lol :)

oh well, if my one and only *vice* in life is that lone can of diet coke each morning and the occasional medium size glass of diet coke at lunch (filled with ice which reduces the total amount of coke I am actually drinking, right?) then I am doing fairly well (imo of course)

I think I will just roll my eyes, stick my fingers in my ears and chant ~~la la la~~ if A comes over here to lecture me :)