Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Sports Family

After giving birth to two girls, I never expected to be a "sports mom." Sure, I married a man who, at the time, was a PE teacher and who now coaches two high school sports and who was voted "Mr. Athlete" at his high school and played college basketball...and I figured I could be a "coach's wife" (turns out I'm not a very good one)...but never thought I would be a "sports mom."

Guess what? I'm a sports mom. I can't call myself a "soccer mom" because one of the girls plays soccer and the other plays softball.

My girls did dance and gymnastics when they were younger, and just in the last year or two both have had to give up dance and gymnastics in favor of their chosen sports. Truth be told, I really miss the beautiful recital costumes and always looked forward to the recitals. I love so dance so much that I am taking classes as an adult.

So a dance mom? I could do that. I figured I would be doing that until both girls were a lot older.

Instead, I'm learning about stealing bases, base runners, change-ups, the "third strike rule" if the catcher doesn't catch the ball, off sides, goal kicks, corner kicks, and strikers/sweepers/keepers.

We spend a lot of time running to and from practice and games. We are just finishing B's soccer season next weekend, and A's travel softball season is just starting. DH is in the beginning of high school basketball season. We find ourselves splitting time between the girls' sporting events (I've got B's soccer this weekend, he has A's softball tournament).

And you know what?

I love it. I was never an athlete myself. Never will be. But my girls are. I love it.

No comments: