Sunday, October 5, 2008

You Have Got to be Kidding Me!

OK, I know this is ridiculous and is truly not a problem in the grand scheme of things...but it annoyed the heck out of me last night and so now you get to hear all about it!

This weekend in General Conference for church. That means we get to sleep in on Sunday, watch TV at home, and spend the day together as a family. I love conference weekend. And, in my family, we have a traditional Sunday morning conference meal -- monkey bread and orange juice. And Wal-Mart carries (well, I should say carried) this lovely pre-made monkey bread that just had to be popped in the microwave for a few minutes and then -- voila -- it was done!

So last night, after an already long day, when I could barely breathe and was exhausted, I headed off to Wal-Mart to buy our monkey bread. I took along with me a list of a few other items that we needed to get through until I'm off work at the end of next week...

Now, I don't like Wal-Mart. Really, truly, I don't. Yes, they have good prices. But they don't have the selection that my favorite grocery store has, the aisles are not wide enough nor are they very well lit, and it's just a messy store in general. But off to Wal-Mart I went. At 7:30 p.m. on a Saturday night. Not a fun time to be there.

Two of the items on my list: monkey bread and frozen egg rolls. And guess what Wal-Mart no longer carries? Monkey bread and frozen egg rolls. Yes, really -- I am sure -- I must have walked up and down the freezer section aisles 5 times, carefully scrutinizing every shelf, every item, ever possible space for monkey bread and egg rolls. To no avail.

The girls and I were really looking forward to monkey bread this morning. Instead, frozen cinnamon rolls had to suffice.

*Sigh* Guess I'll just have to start making it from scratch now.

2 comments:

Erin Noel said...

They're much better when made from scratch anyway. I have to have homemade monkey bread on Christmas morning.

j- said...

What a fun tradition!!
And yeah, I'd go with the home made, in fact I'd prepare it on Saturday while I was listening to Confrence from my kitchen. Sounds like a plan I can handle when JT turns 12 and we (Jim & I) stop staying up at Conference for every session.