OK, here in Georgia it's supposed to be hot through September and, usually, well into October. I can only think of one Halloween since we moved here that it's been cold enough for the girls to need jackets for Trick-or-Treating. Well, apparently Mother Nature has her seasons mixed up! Yesterday morning I took B to soccer...had to be there at 8:15 and it was COLD! The wind was blowing and it was cloudy...brr! I had goosebumps and ended up running home after the first game to get a jacket. Of course, by then the wind died down and it was hot and I ended up with a touch of sunburn.
It seemed like football weather, really. But then the afternoon was hot again. This morning, once again, it was cool and breezy and even a bit drizzly. This is September! It's still supposed to be in the 80s and 90s! I guess it really is time to start thinking about fall. This coming weekend we'll be out of town for soccer on Saturday so we'll probably stop at the outlets on the way home and do some fall shopping for the girls.
I am thrilled to report that our friend who was struck by lightning is doing very well -- miraculously well, in fact. There have been so many prayers on his behalf. Prayer works!
A's softball season is almost over...two more games. She hasn't gotten to play the position she likes best as much as she would like, but this season she's gotten to play a new position and found that she's really good at it and actually likes it.
Sometimes it takes someone putting us in a new situation and forcing us to try it before we realize that we actually like it. Stepping out of our comfort zone is not always easy. That's how my calling as Young Women's President has turned out to be. I thought that being released from Primary after years and years and years would be the end of my life...my heart was broken and I cried for weeks (seriously -- weeks -- actually, more like almost 2 months). I never thought I would love another calling as much as Primary. And now I have come to love these girls and this calling. Granted, I had most of these girls in Primary so I already had relationships with them. But I have realized over the last two weeks just how much I love them and love working with them.
We had our Young Women in Excellence program this last week. We tweaked things a bit and put the girls on "trial" to see if they could be convicted of living the gospel standards and the Young Women values. It was SO much fun! We had a great time - the girls were all surprised and the parents (the "witnesses" against the girls) were wonderful and really got into the spirit of it. I wanted the girls to realize that we, their leaders and parents, really do notice the good, wonderful things they do and the sweet, amazing young ladies they are. It was so much fun. And it was then, during that program, that I was struck by just how much they all mean to me and how much I love them. I am grateful that Heavenly Father knew that I needed to get out of my comfort zone and try something new -- something I never would have tried on my own. Just like a coach, He knows what we need and where we need to serve in order to continue to grow.
Last week was full of rain...this week I have found rainbows.
1 comment:
I totally get that Steph, I was the Primary chorister for 3 1/2 years and the first year I missed RS so much and was so uncomfortable singing in front of the kids (And teachers)!! then i got over it and realized it was the best calling ever! Until I was called to something else and then loved that one too- It's fun to grow, but even more fun to look back and see our growth- just like that little old house that was being beaten and "hurt" and was sad about it until he asked the carpenter why he was hurting him so much- and the carpenter was making him into a mansion. I botched that story- but I hope ya know the one.... he is making us into something bigger and better than we could have hoped!
Post a Comment