Thursday, September 4, 2008

I Love Technology!

A couple of weeks ago I started a Facebook account. I really didn't think much of it at the time -- I did it because my Dad and two of my sisters had Facebook accounts.

Imagine my surprise when I logged into my account on Sunday and saw messages from several of my high school friends -- friends I had lost touch with a long time ago (and no, I won't tell you exactly how long ago, LOL)! SO exciting! So now I'm able to be back in touch with some of my close friends. It's so much fun to read their blogs and see what they're up to...one of them has SIX boys -- yes, six! Another has four boys and just found out she's having a baby girl. Isn't that exciting?

When you stop and think about it, our lives seem to be ruled by technology these days. I have to have my cell phone with me when I'm away from home, particularly if the girls are at home and need to get in touch with me. I'm permanently connected, non-stop, to my e-mail at work. My work phone seems to ring off the hook. We have ready, instant access to so much information on the internet. Cook dinner without my microwave? Craziness. Digital cameras that instantly show us the picture we just took. Thank goodness I have a washer and dryer (that reminds me, I'm behind on laundry again)...a TV to keep track of the weather (looks like tropical storm Hanna might miss us after all) and watch all of our favorite shows...DVD players to watch movies when the hundreds of channels on our Dish Network don't have anything really good to watch (how sad is it that that happens more often than it should?)...

And yet, with all of this technology that is supposed to make our lives easier and free up time for us, we still have trouble squeezing the truly important things into our busy lives....

Yes, I do love technology...I love that it's put me back in touch with friends I had almost lost hope of ever talking to again because I didn't know how to find them. I love that I can contact my husband or kids almost anytime, anywhere...I love that I can find information online...but maybe it wouldn't be so bad for me to learn to better use all of the "free time" this technology has supposedly created for me!

1 comment:

j- said...

Steph, I am with you, I truly love technology, BUT there are days I just want to UNPLUG!! Sometimes I walk around my house and see 1 boy playing the Wii totally ignoring the world around him, another 2 with their noses in their DS's and a husband sitting at the computer playing yet another game. Whatever happened to good old fashioned board games- where you play TOGETHER? I try and balance it all and make sure we go and do things together, but one of these days I am gonna do it, it may be only short term, but I am going to live without cable, and games, and computer and email- it may make me crazy, but I want to try it!